Colorful Christmas trees. Fresh, crisp snow. Warm fireplaces. The start of a new year. All of these make proposing on or around New Year’s Eve that much more special.
It seems every man (or woman) thinks of proposing at one of the signature Christmas trees in metro Detroit, like those at Campus Martius downtown and at the Detroit Zoo in Royal Oak.
But there are many other places that would be just as creative, stunning, and memorable, particularly if they are especially meaningful to your relationship.
There are an endless number of options, but here are some ideas that come to mind instantly:
1. The Detroit RiverFront, with its view of the river, decorative lights, and Canada’s waterfront, is beautiful day or night.
2. A similar scene can be found at Bishop Park, located downriver in Wyandotte, which features a fun downtown area with plenty of places to celebrate afterward.
3. The Lights at Partridge Creek offer a stunning setting if the outdoor mall in Clinton Township happens to be special to your relationship. Consider proposing beside the crackling fireplace.
4. The center of Fountain Walk in Novi might be fun if it’s relevant to your relationship!
5. If you really love the effect that snow and ice have on the landscape, a hilltop overlooking Lake Superior would make for breathtaking pictures of your proposal. If the Big Lake isn’t perfect, consider proposing beside one of the inland lakes in the hills or beside one of the U.P.’s majestic waterfalls. Planning to propose like this on New Year’s Eve would allow for an enjoyable wintertime trip where you can begin celebrating your future together.
6. The same goes for any of our other Great Lakes. Take your pick depending on location, significance, and preferred sites.
7. The Detroit Institute of Arts would be ideal if you are both fascinated with local art. You might not be able to do this on New Year’s Eve itself because it would most likely be closed, but you can always try for the days just before or just after the holiday. Of course, you can always propose on the classic steps outdoors.
8. We can’t list every park and trail here. There are so many fascinating options throughout metro Detroit and Michigan, such as Sunset Pointe at Belle Isle. Consider which park or trail is most meaningful to you. Pretend you want to see what it looks like in the winter to get your significant other to walk over with you, and propose there for an intimate, quiet, charming, and private moment.
9. Where did you meet your significant other? That location is almost always a great option.
10. The Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village would be perfect for local history buffs.
11. The Cranbrook House in Bloomfield Hills can be a charming place to propose, and you might be able to host your wedding there too. If you are hoping for a summer wedding, the gardens there would be delightful.
12. Meadowbrook Hall in Rochester is a historic building with ornate, intricate design features, and couples can plan to have their weddings here as well. The setting is especially festive for the holidays.
13. The Highlands Detroit restaurant and lounge on the 71st and 72nd floors of the Renaissance Center allows for an exciting night out and an incomparable view for your proposal.
After popping the question, pop open the champagne and toast to the start of 2022 and your new life together!
(By the way, if you don’t have an engagement ring yet, you know where to go for that too.)