Common and normal exists for a reason. It works. The tradition of proposing during the holidays under the stars and twinkling lights can make the moment simply magical. The holiday decor and joyful vibe complement the ambience, creating a memorable proposal she’ll cherish forever.
On the other hand, you can break free from the norm by making your marriage proposal so unique that your soon-to-be bride would never expect it.
It’s all up to you. With some thoughtful planning, you can turn the moment into exactly what you want it to be.
Just to help you along, here are a few things we’ve learned over the years about marriage proposals, shopping for engagement rings, and maybe even life in general. Our jewelry store has been around since 1902, so trust us when we say we’ve just about heard it all.
What to Do If You’re Proposing During the Holidays
- Take advantage of the season. Ask the question during light snowfall or at your favorite Michigan ski resort.
- Find out what kind of engagement ring she would like. Whether you make it obvious that you’re shopping for a ring or must trick her into giving away the type of diamond ring she would like, you do need to find out what she likes. If not, no matter how much she loves you and is excited about the proposal itself, if she doesn’t like the ring, you’ll see it in her expression. That could possibly ruin the moment, even if the expression lasts only a couple seconds.
- Ask someone close to her if she would like the engagement ring you picked out. Just make sure that person can keep your secret.
- Have a backup plan ahead of time in case your plans don’t work out, but do make sure your backup is just as thrilling as your original plan.
- Make it personal and meaningful. The traditional ideas like the place where you first met, your favorite restaurant, or the location of your first date are still excellent options. But you can also use your creativity so that the proposal is based on other significant events, such as a conversation you might have had or a goal that you both have in life.
- Think about what you want to do for the rest of the day and plan it. The entire day should be exciting, fun, and meaningful.
What Not to Do If You’re Proposing During the Holidays
- Don’t propose in the proximity of a lot of other people unless you’re 100 percent positive she’ll sincerely say “yes” on the spot. Proposing in a setting where other people might hear the answer places pressure on both of you.
- Don’t overthink it. Just say what’s in your heart, and even if it doesn’t come out exactly the way you wanted it to, it will probably turn into a funny story to tell others years from now.
- Don’t think this means you can get away with not giving her a holiday gift. Even if it’s a small, inexpensive, simple gift, it’s important that she enjoy the holiday separate from the proposal.
If you haven’t quite yet found the right diamond ring for your soon-to-be fiancee, step into our jewelry store in Novi. We’ll help you find the perfect engagement ring for that special moment.