Buying an engagement ring is a big deal.
This is a unique time in your life because you have found someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with. For that reason, making the decision to propose is one thing; when you’re sure you’ve found the one, it’s an easy decision to make.
Buying the ring, however, is a different story altogether. While most men want to surprise the one that they love, they also may be concerned about the possibility of buying a ring that’s all wrong for her style.
So, should you or shouldn’t you take your girlfriend engagement ring shopping?
Here are two reasons why you might want to involve her in the engagement ring shopping process:
- You want her to love the ring that you buy her. You don’t want to worry that she won’t accept your proposal because she is not completely happy with the ring.
- You want her to feel like she has a choice in the matter. Many women love the surprise, but others feel excited that they are able to decide which ring they want. She might have been looking forward to choosing that diamond ring her entire life, so you don’t want to cheat her out of that once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Here are a few reasons why you might not want to:
- It will ruin the surprise. Many men want their girlfriends to be completely surprised when they finally propose. Even if you have talked about marriage, it should still be a surprise.
- You may end up spending more than you wanted, simply because she wants something a little bigger or flashier than you were planning. The jeweler may also guilt you into buying something better for your girlfriend, even if it is not in your budget. It’s not about a lack of love or commitment; sometimes it’s simply about whether or not you have the money.
- It is not traditional. Many couples want all of the traditions, including asking permission from the parents, having the man choose the engagement ring, and completely surprising the bride-to-be.
There are many reasons to take your girlfriend along and reasons why you should leave her at home. For this reason, many couples shop around together ahead of time. This allows you to see what she likes so you can go back and choose the perfect ring later!
Contact us to help you find the perfect engagement ring, with or without her.