Contrary to popular belief, a diamond is not indestructible, at least as far as its appearance is concerned. It does have one weakness: grime. Grime is the diamond’s kryptonite. Oil, chemicals, dust, food residue, and other debris can knock the sparkle out of that diamond, leaving it dull and lifeless. As long as you know how to clean diamond rings, however, you can keep them as beautiful as the first day you put them on.
How to Clean Diamond Rings
You may have heard it all when it comes to how to clean diamond rings … or how to clean anything for that matter. But as diamond jewelers, we’re most interested in helping you keep your diamond ring sparkling for as long as you wear it.
Here are a few of our do’s and don’ts when it comes to how to clean diamond rings and how to prevent them from getting dirty in the first place. Fortunately, most of these tips are easy as can be.
- Do use a mixture of mild dish soap and warm water to soak your ring for 15-20 minutes about once a week.
- Do use a soft toothbrush to gently scrub the ring afterward.
- Do go over those hard to reach places like the back of the ring.
- Do use a lint-free, soft cloth to dry the ring. Anything else might scratch the band or leave dust on the diamond.
- Do take it to your local jewelry store for a professional cleaning once or twice a year.
- Do make sure you clean the diamond ring regularly, as it will be harder to clear up those grooves if too much dirt and grime collects.
- Don’t touch the diamond itself if you can avoid it, because the natural oils from your fingers can dull the diamond.
- Don’t wear your ring when cooking, cleaning, gardening, or completing similar chores.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals, such as bleach, to clean the diamond ring or while you’re wearing it.
- Don’t use a toothbrush to clean especially fragile diamond jewelry.
Step into Our Novi Jewelry Store for a Cleaning
Step into our jewelry store a couple times a year to have us clean your diamond ring for you. We use a steam and polishing process that will have your ring looking like new. For more information and store hours, visit our Diamond Castle Jewelers website or call us at 248-442-2440.
As you walk out of our Novi showroom afterward, you will be delighted to see your ring sparkle as brightly as it ever has.